Developed by Cornelsen GmbH, TRS Group’s thermal remediation partner in Essen, Germany, the patented PerﬂuorAd® technology is ideal for cleaning out aqueous ﬁlm forming foam (AFFF) ﬁre suppression systems. As seen in the graph below, the technology can reduce concentrations in AFFF systems by more than 99%. TRS is the exclusive provider of PerﬂuorAd in North America.
Total PFAS before and after cleaning with PerfluorAd
How It Works
PerﬂuorAd is a plant-based, oleic acid that preferentially forms a weak ionic bond with PFAS. We circulate a dilute solution through every part of the ﬁre suppression system, including pipes, hoses, valves, storage vessels, pumps, etc., until we reach acceptable eﬀluent concentration levels. Cleaning a ﬁre truck usually takes less than a week. Typical fees are 5 to 10% of replacement costs.
• Works exceedingly well at elevated PFAS concentrations
• Performs in the presence of dissolved organic carbon, surfactants and other constituents
• Standalone system or with activated carbon or ion exchange resin for polishing
• Laboratory study identiﬁes the ideal dose of PerﬂuorAd for maximum PFAS removal
• Mobile treatment system performs at your site with cleanouts in three to ﬁve days
• Can reduce costs by up to 90% compared to replacing PFAS-impacted parts