Developed by Cornelsen GmbH, TRS Group’s thermal remediation partner in Essen, Germany, the patent-pending PerﬂuorAd® technology is ideal for cleaning out aqueous ﬁlm forming foam (AFFF) ﬁre suppression systems. As seen in the graph below, the technology can reduce PFAS-containing AFFF concentrations in fire suppression systems by more than 99%. TRS is the exclusive provider of PerﬂuorAd in North America.
Total PFAS before and after cleaning with PerfluorAd
How It Works
PerﬂuorAd is a plant-based, oleic acid that preferentially forms a weak ionic bond with PFAS. We circulate a dilute solution through every part of the ﬁre suppression system, including pipes, hoses, valves, storage vessels, pumps, etc., until we reach acceptable eﬀluent concentration levels. Cleaning a ﬁre truck usually takes less than a week. Typical fees are 5 to 10% of replacement costs.
• Works exceedingly well at elevated PFAS concentrations
• Performs in the presence of dissolved organic carbon, surfactants and other constituents
• Standalone system or with activated carbon or ion exchange resin for polishing
• Laboratory study identiﬁes the ideal dose of PerﬂuorAd for maximum PFAS removal
• Mobile treatment system performs at your site with cleanouts in three to ﬁve days
• Can reduce costs by up to 90% compared to replacing PFAS-impacted parts