TRS provides in situ and ex situ heating solutions for the remediation of PFAS–impacted soils. In fact, the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office awarded TRS a patent for our PFAS thermal remediation solutions. Further, our patent-pending FlexHeater® thermal conduction heating (TCH) services can reduce PFAS concentrations by more than 99.99%.
Our patented process involves heating the impacted soils, in situ or ex situ, to temperatures between 300 and 400°C and maintaining the elevated temperatures for up to two weeks. The process is safe and remarkably effective.
In 2020, the Department of Defense, through its Environmental Security Technology Certification Program (ESTCP), awarded TRS and collaborators two projects, each focused on the thermal treatment of PFAS-impacted soil: in situ thermal treatment in the vadose zone and ex situ treatment of soil piles.
Thermal Remediation of PFAS in Soil – TRS applied its FlexHeater® TCH service to soil at a fire training site at Beale Air Force Base to reduce PFOA and PFOS levels below U.S. EPA RSLs (126 μg/kg). View the case study
PFAS Removal from a Soil Stockpile Using TCH – TRS used its FlexHeater® TCH service to remove PFOA and PFOS to below detection limits in the middle of an Alaskan winter. View the case study
TRS personnel lead a tour at Eielson Air Force Base in Fairbanks, Alaska, where TRS used its TCH technology on PFAS containing ex situ soil stockpiles.
Additional PFAS Remediation Resources
- PFAS Removal from a Soil Stockpile Using Thermal Conduction Heating (case study)
- Impacts of EPA Regulating PFOA and PFOS as CERCLA Hazardous Substances (webinar recording)
- A Letter from the North Pole: The Gift of PFAS Removal (article)
- PFAS thermal desorption evaluation (peer-reviewed article published in Remediation Journal)
- FlexHeater® service achieves 99% reduction of PFAS in soil (article)
- Bench Test: Thermal Remediation of PFAS Compounds (case study)
- How to design and remediate a PFAS source zone (webinar recording)